Friday, September 19, 2008

Amy's new dentist

Well, Amy had gone to a pediatric dentist last month- went pretty well, except he said she had 3 cavities that needed filled- he said they would bring her in, do the gas, and it would take 2 appointments- because there were 2 on 1 side, 1 on the other. Oh, and parents are not allowed in the back- you hand them off at the door. And she would have to take the whole day off school- once for each appt.

This didn't really set well with me for some reason. Maybe it's the norm to do these days, and I am just overprotective, who knows.

Well I ended up calling my dentist (I hadn't actually gone to see him yet, but had him picked out) His office is a lot easier for me to get too, and yes, they do kids, too. I explained that she was afraid of needles, but took a risk and promised them she would not freak out (I ended up bribing her with toys!)

Her appt was yesterday- turns out the cavities were tiny enough- he told her it was her choice whether to get "sleepy juice" (novacaine) or not.

She chose NOT! He told her if she changed her mind, she could at any point- well, she sat through the first 2 with only a slight whimper- and they only took about 5 minutes start to finish- then he asked her if she wanted to get the other one finished off, and she said yes! another 2 minutes, and all 3 were fixed, no numb mouth, no gas, no missed school, and she came away from the dentist office saying that yes, it did hurt a tiny bit, but really it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be- and no shots!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good job Amy what a brave girl. My kids dentist tries that too, but I refuse and go back with them. I also bribed Evey with toys when she has gone to the dermatologist for warts. This will say John but it is really me Rachel.